The basic equipment needed for doing TNR cats is a humane trap. These are made by many different companies and come in many different sizes.
The traps we lend out at Fix Our Ferals (510-215-9300) have 2 doors: one trap door, and one for transferring. We find that the 2nd door is invaluable for transferring cats and makes it much easier to recover them after surgery. We use the size for domestic cats, but the raccoon size can also be used, and is sometimes better for larger cats.
A large trap made for catching dogs or bob cats can also be very useful, however they should never be used with out a “Pull Stick” (see below) because the normal trapping mechanism can be dangerous and cause injury to the cat.
In some instances you will find that you need other equipment for hard to catch cats or special circumstances. The following is a list of some other equipment we have found useful. In some instances you can, or need to, make these items your self.
- Drop Trap: Used for hard to catch, and “trap-shy” cats
- Pull Stick: Used when you want to do “selective trapping”
- Remote Trigger Device: Used when working a larger TNR colony, where some cats are fixed and others are not, allowing the trapper to selectively operate and target specific cats.
- Nets and Transfer Board: Used for special circumstances, for example when a cat is confined in a room, or shed, or the cat is incapacitated and you can approach it- but it will not enter a trap
- Recovery cages: Cages that extend the trap, to make recovery easier for both you and the cat.